[vlc-devel] Filters in libvlc

jboileau jboileau at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 16:41:41 CEST 2008

> What I dont know and what I need to know, is when
> I have to restore applied filters? I suppose
> after changing media, but what about other cases?
> Maybe I overlooked it, has libvlc something to
> indicate new created vout?

The idea of a callback when a vout is created would certainly be
ideal. I don't know if it exist. Trying to do it on a case by case
basis will probably fail. I know at least one filter, the magnify
filter, that stops and restarts vout and thus kills filters not saved
in the config.

You do have 2 alternatives:

1. by some mechanism be informed that a new vout has been created and
restart filters
or
2. save the filter settings in the config since a new vout will read
and set filters as per the config.

I don't know if it would make us design the API differently but it is
important to design/name the new API with the idea of adding other
filters later. What I mean is: we must consider what this API might
look like if we add a bunch of other filters later on and if it will
be manageable. Just something to keep in mind while designing.

Jacques Boileau