[vlc-devel] iPhone / iPod touch port

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Sat Mar 29 12:59:47 CET 2008

Hi!

On Mar 29, 2008, at 6:55 AM, Kushan Wijeratne wrote:
> First of all I'm new to development on vlc, but not new to
> programming, I'm planning on doing gsoc (no surprise there ;)) this
> year and I stumbled upon above idea which interested me. I'm a
> student in university of moratuwa in my final year. I'm good with C
> knowledge and assembly. I've worked a little with autotools and
> didn't have much problems on it. I'm also ok with assembly language.
> I have not specifically worked with embedded systems of magnitudes
> of iphones, but have worked with microcontrollers/pics (programming
> with c,assembly and basic).

You'll need to have an intel mac and to know Objective-C, you may need
an iPhone too. Any problem for you?

> I would like to try and port the vlc for the ipod since it would be
> really cool and most of all fun to do it. But however the the ideas
> page did not elaborate on it much. I dont know whether there already
> is an attempt to do this or not. I checked a little on the recent
> vlc_devel mailing list on the topic but did not see anything related
> to this topic. So if anyone can help me with this, i'd greatly
> appreciate it.

It's trivial to build VLC for the iPhone. It is less trivial to build
the video out opengl es driver because the framework is not available.
(Didn't check with the latest SDK though.)

> PS:Dont know hw to contact the mentor pdherbemont, :(

IRC ? :)

Pierre.