[vlc-devel] Summer of Code: GUI interfaces for the browsers plug-ins

hannes_b at gmx.at hannes_b at gmx.at
Sat May 3 16:08:41 CEST 2008

Justus-bulk at Piater.name wrote:
>> then firefox crashed, ff 3 beta 5, vlc 0.8.6f
>
> Sorry, but the quality problems are on VLC's side (perhaps in addition
> to Firefox'?). VLC contains a bunch of non-const statics, but plugins
> all share the same (the browser's) address space, and this Web page of
> mine contains two instances of the VLC plugin. See an earlier thread
> on this list, just a few days ago. There may also be other problems; I
> have not tried to run VLC inside valgrind.

i think it is more a firefox problem if a plugin can crash it.

> Start with the git code; it has evolved a lot since 0.8.6f. The git
> version usually works with my page (at least the one I checked out, on
> my machine/OS/configuration/browsing history/...), though only by
> chance.
>
> I just verified it (mostly) works with Firefox 3 Beta 5, even though
> the audience's view shows only one of the two videos. Very strange.
>
> The speaker's view of the first video does not work properly unless I
> load the page locally (not through a Web server). Also very strange.

just installed vlc-0.9.0-git-20080501-0002-win32.exe in ff3b5, the videos are not shown, black with video is loading...

but you are right, vlc has really greatly improved since the last time i tried the nightly some month ago.

kind regards