[vlc-devel] Sending synced text to the Qt4 interface

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Nov 3 15:13:07 CET 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:29:07 +0100, "ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com"
<ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com> wrote:
> - the system I worked out to convey synced text to the rest of VLC uses
>   input_item_SetMeta and a new metadata type (synced text), and tells
>   VLC about it via an item-change event. Is this an OK way to do it ?

Either I don't understand what you're doing, or it's an ugly awful hack.
Why don't you create a "normal" SPU elementary stream for this?

> - when the Kate module is selected with no active vout (eg, by using
>   --sub-track or --sub-track-id), VLC seems to wait quite a while when
>   trying to get a new SPU buffer (a few seconds). To avoid the temporary
>   freeze, I had to use vlc_object_find to know if there's a vout (I do
>   not do anything with it though, I just need to know if there is one
>   around, so I can avoid asking for a SPU buffer is there isn't one).

Your own decoder ought to know whether it has created a video output, which
is the same thing as finding a child video output, but much less ugly and
racy. And we are not printing warnings for fun.

>   Is this a known problem with a known solution, and is there another
>   way to know if VLC will freeze when asking for a SPU buffer ?

Either way, it's not an acceptable work-around to me.