[vlc-devel] Sending synced text to the Qt4 interface

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:21:55 CET 2008

> Either I don't understand what you're doing, or it's an ugly awful hack.
> Why don't you create a "normal" SPU elementary stream for this?

I don't understand what I'm doing. I haven't been hacking on VLC for long
at all, and I'm just grepping the code to see how stuff is done. The point of
this mail was to ask for feedback on just this. Note that feeding such a meta
from *all* SPUs is probably undesirable as well, hence the (perceived)
need to have a separate path for synced-text-to-draw-outside-video.
Could be a flag in the SPU data I suppose.

> Your own decoder ought to know whether it has created a video output, which
> is the same thing as finding a child video output, but much less ugly and
> racy. And we are not printing warnings for fun.

Didn't realize it was racy :/ Still, I was not aware that the vout was created
by my decoder. I certainly don't recall doing this code (especially the one
that opens a visualization window where lyrics get displayed).

> Either way, it's not an acceptable work-around to me.

Yes, I understand that, it was the point of me asking as it was the only way
I could find so far.

Thanks