[vlc-devel] Preliminary Mac builds

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Mon Sep 1 16:18:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:39:09 +0200, Felix Paul Kühne
<fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I do support this. We should tag 0.9.2 only when we are _ready_. We  
> already spent 2 version numbers on releases which will never appear to  
> the broad public due to timing instead of bugfixing.

Well, you get to choose between time-based releases and feature-based
releases. It seems that you guys always want the one we are not using...

> Let's wait for j-b's ok on the win32 builds
> (whether the x264 stuff is fixed or not) and then release.
> Or let us all agree on skipping the win32 release  
> (which I strongly deny btw.).

Well, I have been complaining several times about this. We always end up
postponing releases because of that one unmaintained port. And who pays the
consequences? the users of other OSes, especially those on OSes for which
we are not the making the binaries. Consider this: Debian will stick with a
bloody old 0.8.6-whatever for several years from now... I guess the next
Ubuntu LTS too. Whereas on Windows, they'll have this shiny 0.9.2 within a
This would not have necessarily have happened if we had released on damn
time (which would have been quite do-able for Linux). And who's going to
have to maintain security patches for 0.8.6? guess who? certainly not the
zero Win32 porters...

Frankly, I am sick of this unsustainable maintainance model.

Rémi Denis-Courmont

More information about the vlc-devel mailing list