[vlc-devel] Snow Leopard and x64

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 01:26:24 CET 2009

Hello Wolf,

On 20.12.2009, at 14:30, Wolf wrote:

> On my point of view its not  a good idea to skip
>
> export CFLAGS="-arch *"
> export CXXFLAGS="-arch *"
> export LDFLAGS="-arch *"
> export OBJCFLAGS="-arch *"
I removed these for the following reason:
on 10.5, GCC defaults to 32bit builds on both PowerPC and Intel. Doing a "-arch i386" or "-arch ppc" does no harm, but has no benefit either.
on 10.6, GCC defaults to 64bit builds for Intel. Doing a "-arch x86_64" has no effect either.

The arch flag is only important if you want to target a different than the default platform. Since the OS X compilation instructions are way to complicated anyway for the ordinary non-VideoLAN developer (just noticed this again multiple times this week-end), I would like to keep it simple where possible. The arch flag is mentioned later on in the document, which is absolutely sufficient as the later paragraphs focus on cross-compilation.

> Without, my system will get confused
This is probably a configuration issue or caused by an outdated Xcode version. Xcode 3.1.4 or later is absolutely required to compile VLC on a Mac.

Best regards,

Felix Kühne

--
VideoLAN