[vlc-devel] jvlc: Getting any response from VLM

Filippo Carone filippo at carone.org
Mon Feb 16 17:44:31 CET 2009

Alexander Bethke ha scritto:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am trying to implement a live transcoding controller that wraps VLM
> via jvlc. Sending a command to VLM works fine, but it seems there is no
> way to get information back from jvlc. I understand that there is no
> fancy playback event handling with jvlc>VLM like when using jvlc as a
> player with MediaDescriptor. But what I don't understand is why no VLM
> method throws a VLCException. showMedia has return type void and I don't
> get any console logging from any VLM command (apart from actual VLC
> logging, when VLM triggered it right).
> Am I getting something wrong? Or is that just unimplemented?

Hi Alexander,
VLM methods in JVLC should throw exceptions just like other JVLC
methods. The current implementation throws exceptions away, but if you
need exceptions now you may consider using
org.videolan.jvlc.internal.LibVlc.libvlc_vlm_* methods which fill the
libvlc_exception_t class correctly.

The best would be to check the status of the libvlc_exception_t class in
VLM.java and throw the VLCException accordingly.  Any patch will be
kindly accepted ;)

Cheers,
Filippo