[vlc-devel] VLC RTSP Server Support for Keep-Alive Messages to Kill Orphaned Streams?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 15 09:42:02 CEST 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:35:34 -0400, Robert Krakora
<rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com> wrote:
> First of all, thanks for a great application.  I have been using VLC
> since 2002 and I love it.  I just downloaded and build VLC 1.0.0 with
> the options that I normally enable.  However, I have noticed that the
> VLC RTSP server code still does not implement a keep-alive mechanism
> to kill orphaned streams.  Is this planned to be implemented sometime
> in the future?  Are you looking for someone to implement it?

Currently, the VLC RTSP server has no support for receiving RTCP-RR
packets, which is one possible way for an RTSP client to signal its
liveliness. Until this is implemented, timing out clients based solely on
RTSP activity risks breaking interoperability with well-behaving RTSP
clients.

It should be a few days worth of work for RTSP broadcast mode. For VOD, I
would not be so optimistic...