[vlc-devel] Looking for VLC developer/help/ideas for embedded client development

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 22 14:15:06 CEST 2009

   Hello,

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:53:03 +1000, nicolas <nicolas at enttec.com> wrote:
> Sorry, if this really isn't the right list to post but you guys are the
> target audience.

I think it's fine.

> We are developers and manufacturers of Entertainment/Architectural
> lighting products, we have a new project where we would like to stream
data
> from VLC and then have our embedded hardware act as VLC client and pixel
> map (RGB) the data onto DMX512 streams. The application is for large
format
> video screens.
>
> Our hardware has limited resources (ARM9 500Mhz) but has GigE so probably
> just uncompressed stream playing is what we need.

That depends on the size and frame rate of your "large" video screens. Full
HD at 24 fps and 24-bits color depth is already 1.2 Gbit/s before protocol
overhead. Support for raw video streaming (over RTP) could be added with a
reasonable amount of work, but I am not fully convinced that GigE is fast
enough, or that it won't hit other bottlenecks, such memory copying speed,
socket buffers size, checksumming (unless the NICs can offload), or
whatever.

Regards,