[vlc-devel] commit: Port panoramix to X RandR with XCB (incomplete) ( R?mi Denis-Courmont )

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Jun 11 09:14:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:25:54 +0200, jpd at videolan.org wrote:
>> Keeping existing structures internally consistent, sure.
>> But cosmeticizing new functions... I think there are more
>> pressing/thrilling tasks.
>
> I don't disagree that the standing convention could be more sensible,
> in fact I share your dislike for the whole thing, but we do complain to
> everyone who gratuitously picks a different convention, and rightly so.
> Bad convention or not, as long as it is consistent it beats mixing as
> many styles as possible.

Over the last 5 years, I have probably pushed more logically automatic or
semi-automatic but still manually edited changesets than anyone ever has in
this project. Obviously, that was more code fixes or adaptation, etc, than
cosmetic fixes. Still, it is mentally boring and sometimes outright
physically painful (I'm dead serious - unfortunately) due to repetition.
But I did it because it improved the code.

If people think that using different style in independent functions is a
problem, I don't care. I WILL NOT damage my motivation, go against my
technical beliefs, and/or make my hand muscles ache to make them happy.
They can fix it *themselves*. If people think this is unacceptable
behaviour, then I am afraid the only resolution would be for me to stop
coding in this project (not that I intend to).

For the record, I don't rant at other people when they do not follow my
coding styles in patches to "my" projects. I accept that my coding style is
not completely a common/standard one. Yet it is still way way more
"commonish" than the VLC one...

>> Anyway, I really feel like the VLC conventions were set just for the
>> ******* sake of being different from everything else. Hence annoying
>> as possible, really.
>
> Or because a group of inexperienced programmers got together and thought
> ``conventions are good, let's pick the one we hear is bestest!!1!''. Be
> that as it may, it doesn't change that mixing styles should be avoided.

I avoid mixing coding styles when it feels right, like inside an existing
struct or function or whatever. Conversely, people (not just me) avoid the
Hungarian notation when it feels really totally brain-dead... do you use
i_i and i_j as inner loop iterators? No, everybody does i and j...