[vlc-devel] Buildbot considered useless

Rafaël Carré rafael.carre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 21:17:59 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've been away since last year, but VLC is still in my heart so I tried
to follow development a bit.

VideoLAN & VLC benefits from a lot of hardware I think, and some of
these hardware is used for the marvelous buildbot.

Someone else than you (buildbot, virtual person) can build the tree.
You commit something.
The same person can't build it anymore.
You fix the problem you introduced.
That person can build again.

Marvelous no ? And definitely handy if you don't have 6 different
platforms at home.

There is 7 buildbots active, i'll just past an extract of their current
status :

- - i386 linux OK
- - core2duo osx OK

- - amd64 linux fails test suite (that happens)

- - intel OSX (how the duck is it different from core2duo ?) :
  exceptions.TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument
  'mame'
- - PPC OSX : exceptions.TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword
  argument 'mame'
- - wince : configure: error: LibVLC requires mingw-runtime version 3.15
  or higher!
- - win32 : ../../libtool: line 806: X--tag=CC: command not found

Linux builds fine, no wonder that is the target most developers and
contributors use.

Intel OSX builds fine, no wonder that is the target thedj & feepk use.

Others, less popular, platforms don't build though.

Looks to me like a problem inside buildbot chroot, I'd be happy to help
fix that if the problem is a lack of time.

Just let me know how I can access the various chroots with root
capabilities. (my ssh key fun at zod is on videolan at altair)

- --
Rafaël Carré