[vlc-devel] Visibility of 1.0.0-rcX (was: Earth to release engineering)

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon May 25 08:22:34 CEST 2009

On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:06:19 -0400, Andre-John Mas <ajmas at sympatico.ca>
wrote:
> At the moment I don't feel the release candidates are getting much
> exposure
> to the user community, especially the MacOS X version which only appears
> amongst the nightlies.

With JPSaman having backported the very commits that reportedly broke the
fullscreen mode, OSX is probably not RC2 ready (anymore). But, hey, I have
been asking for the revocation of his commit rights for more than a year,
with COUNTLESS justifications, and never ever did anyone ever bother to
propose a plausible alternative.

> It would be nice to change this. For the MacOS X version at least, if
> there
> is somewhere to put the file, how would you feel if I announced this in
> the forum? I would add the necessary disclaimers, but anything that can
> increase testing prior to the release would be useful, IMHO.

The place to put the files is the testing directory on the official FTP.

> If you see another way of increasing exposure, or have a different take,
> then I am welcome to suggestions.

But that raises an underlying question: *who* would handle the bug reports
on OSX timely now? If nobody could even make an RC1 build, then I guess
nobody can fix bugs either. We are increasingly seeing frustrated testers
who feel they are wasting their time since nobody is fixing the bugs anyway
(especially but not only on Windows). It is sad, but if we cannot fix bugs,
then better not to waste testers energy indeed.