[vlc-devel] 'Open files' UI fixes. Full usage of QT4...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Thu May 28 14:46:24 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 02:25:11PM +0200, Francois Cartegnie wrote :
> QTcreator doesn't allow this. I guess it will need hand xml hacking or a trick
> in the UI's class.
No, don't put that button in the UI and add it to the QDialogButtonBox in
the cpp.

> If you intend to have a full buttons layout management through
> QDialogButtonBox's buttons roles, is there any reason to keep the "horizontal
> spacer" ?
Well, if you find a clever way to get rid off, please share. :D

> >   - Cancel button is wrong, it shouldn't use Qt Cancel and Qt colors,
> >     for translation reasons.
>
> Is that a translation only problem with QT or a display problem ?

Both.

> This is a first stage, the next steps is to move the action buttons -inside-
> the tabs (action relates to the tab's context). Reason ? Options shown in the
> tabs are not exclusive. Any user filling a DVD then network tab could expect
> to have both working.

Disagreed. Actions that are specific to the source must be in the tab,
other shouldn't be. And so far, Additionnal options are not specific,
nor the menu.

> Another way to have the right behaviour is to discard tabs and use a combobox
> (or radio boxes, as there is only 4 choices) for media selection, then
> onChange dynamically display the related options. Cons are that radio won't
> be visually nice, and a combo won't expose all alternatives until selected.
I am not sure about that, I tried at the beginning and it sucked.

> Then, I also think the optional options might also need to move, as It does
> seem to be specifically related to the media (caching). For example, is
> the 'extra synchronous media' something wanted with capture mode ?

Caching is generic, since all methods have caching.

Well, yes we want that. You can capture a dshow device and want to
playback a music at the same time or whatever.

Best Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/