[vlc-devel] Streaming wizard issues

Pierre Ynard linkfanel at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 30 14:00:58 CET 2009

> RTP and UDP are not very usable without an advertisement mechanism.
> Also if you're streaming multicast, spending a few kbits more in SAP
> won't make much difference. Even in the unlikely case that you're
> using RTP or UDP unicast, SAP bandwidth is so low that it's unlikely
> to hurt.

There is some contradiction between unicast and advertising: if the
stream is intended to one well-known recipient, maybe it's not intended
to others. This sounds like a privacy leak to me.

SAP could be enabled conditionally, based on unicast/multicast?

> I think the SAP checkbox is currently one more pointless click in the
> way, so to put it.

What about replacing it with a "public/private stream" checkbox? This
could handle TTL too, and maybe other options.

Or maybe a more consequent "how do I advertise my stream"
box/panel/profile ? There could go the group name. What about HTTP
access restrictions too?

And for RTP, what about exposing SDP file options and RTSP?

--
Pierre Ynard
"Une âme dans un corps, c'est comme un dessin sur une feuille de papier."