[vlc-devel] [GCI] libvlc: An API for listing audio & video filters

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Dec 4 23:38:36 CET 2010

   Hello,

On Sunday 05 December 2010, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>    Hello,
>
> On Saturday 04 December 2010, Rémi Duraffort wrote:
> > > I am not opposed to opening more the modules, but I would love to see
> > > the use-cases.
> >
> > Maybe I haven't seen the function to do it but AFAIK there is no libvlc
> > function to list the available SD modules... That's really a shame (or I
> > missed something).
>
> It's not entirely obvious but listing SD is a completely separate issue. A
> generic per-capability list wouldn't work. That's exactly why we created
> the "probe" stuff.

To clarify... I not opposed  to an API to list SD. But then it will be specific
to SD by design, so it is orthogonal to this thread's topic.

> > Anyway being able to list the available vout, aout, video filter, audio
> > filter, sd, ... looks like an important feature of libvlc for me.
>
> I disagree. vout and aout are not portable and LibVLC should (and normally
> does) find the best one automatically.

And most filters depend on parameters that cannot be expressed in a generic way
- you need to know what a given filter does to understand the parameters. I
guess JP Dinger designed the current (limited) filter API the way he did, with
this problem in mind.

http://www.remlab.net/