[vlc-devel] commit: vlm: Remove the callback before joining the thread, and save a dead lock. (Pierre d'Herbemont )

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Fri Feb 12 09:00:17 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Sébastien Escudier
> <sebastien-devel at celeos.eu> wrote:
>> Quoting Pierre d'Herbemont <pdherbemont at free.fr>:
>>
>>> Which one would you expect? The correct fix is trivial if you want the
>>> Stop event.
>>
>> Yes, I was thinking to the stop event, but we might loose some others.
>> Moreover it doesn't seem clean.
>> The logic is :
>> - add callback
>> - start input
>> [...]
>> - stop input
>> - del callback
>
> Speaking of clean, the signaling stuff is completly unclean. The
> callback is being used for two things. Signaling and transmitting the
> input event. I guess what you want is two callbacks one for signalling
> the other one for transmitting. The signaling callback *needs* to be
> removed before stoping the input.

If I am not willingly wanting to fix that this is because the only
impacted client are libvlc, and using libvlm through libvlc seems not
a good idea, and you'd better reimplement it on top of pure libvlc
with roughly the same line of code than your configuration file. Also
a state event is not critical when you have a Stop event that will
anyway be fired. Read, it shouldn't prevent client to work. And I feel
that they are more important thing to fix when it comes to vlm. Read,
the signaling stuff is scary.

Pierre.