[vlc-devel] SoC 2010: DLNA UPnP Server/Client Modules

David Glaude david.glaude at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:32:37 CEST 2010

Le 25 mai 2010 14:19, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> a écrit :

> On Mon, 24 May 2010 20:13:32 +0200, Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org>
> wrote:
> > Being author of libdlna, I know a lot about UPnP/DLNA protocol.
> > Based on your page, I'd however suggest you discard libupnp (piece of
> > crap) and consider gupnp instead.
> > But it's up to you to see :-)
>
> I don't know gupnp. But glib being a "piece of crap" as well, I would not
> recommend it.
>
> And glib is not available in VLC for Windows and MacOS (because it is a
> useless piece of crap).

I am no expert... however at last fosdem there were at least two upnp/dlna
presentation (and I saw one of them). Both can be found at
http://live.gnome.org/Brussels2010/Devroom

Frank Scholz *Coherence - The Digital Livingroom and beyond (sharing our
media with UPnP/DLNA)
and*
Zeeshan Ali (Khattak) *GUPnP & Rygel: Liberating Digital Living*

I think that is the one I assisted to. It was presented by someone from
Nokia working in Finland.
I don't remember anything but he spended a bit of time explaining upnp/dlna
but also the available stack he found and why he did build on GUPnP rather
than anything else. It might be related to the language, licence, memory
footprint, glib availability or specific to maemo or...

Anyway, someone from VLC should try to contact or talk to (why not in real
live) Ali and ask if he can summarise how he came to that decision, what are
the other option, ...

If not helpfull for choosing the stack to build on, it can still be used for
interoperability testing.

Good work.

David Glaude