[vlc-devel] FSF position on GPLv2 & current App Store terms

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Nov 3 12:03:45 CET 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 10:00:31 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 09:00:04AM +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> Reading the thread, you're the one owing apologies for gross
>> misbehavior, not him.
> Clearly not.
> And seeing you saying that is of such irony...

Ad hominem attacks. Great level of argumentation. Thank you.

>> That is gratuitous as well. I don't see any community being split up,
>> let alone deliberately by the FSF. I only see flaming, which is bad,
>> but far less severe.
> Splitting, clearly.

It is not clear at all (to me) and a totally unproven accusation.

> When some developers are fighting and leaving, this is splitting.

I have not seen anyone leaving yet. And besides the accusations against
Apple, I have seen no fight other than from you toward the FSF.

>> And if someone has tried to alienate part of the community, it
>> is _you_:
>> http://twitter.com/videolan/status/29189418336
>
> The FSF article is misleading, for many reasons, especially the part
> between Apple, Applidium, VLC and VideoLAN.

Yes. And Brett apologized and offered to clarify it. But instead you went
completely ballistic. Even I let Apple a chance to explain itself (which it
did not do unfortunately).

>> I am really disappointed by your persistence.

> And me by yours at defending the FSF.

That's silly. I am the one whose views were slightly misrepresented by the
FSF.

> Once again, I care about the users of VLC.

And I care about the developers community. Users are cheap. Developers
aren't.

> I still find the way the FSF used us, clearly misleading the users in
> what the situtation is (not the Gnu Go case, not VideoLAN), is wrong.
> And I don't see why you want to deny that.

I don't deny that if you read my initial response. But I think your strong
and insistent attacks are excessive and hypocritical, especially
considering that you are not directly involved.

http://www.remlab.net
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis