[vlc-devel] FSF position on GPLv2 & current App Store terms

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Nov 3 12:14:52 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 12:03:45PM +0100, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> >> That is gratuitous as well. I don't see any community being split up,
> >> let alone deliberately by the FSF. I only see flaming, which is bad,
> >> but far less severe.
> > Splitting, clearly.
> It is not clear at all (to me) and a totally unproven accusation.
Clearly, yes. People are fighting. Some developers might leave the
project.

> > When some developers are fighting and leaving, this is splitting.
> I have not seen anyone leaving yet. And besides the accusations against
> Apple, I have seen no fight other than from you toward the FSF.
_yet_

> Yes. And Brett apologized and offered to clarify it. But instead you went
Where did he apologized?

> > Once again, I care about the users of VLC.
> And I care about the developers community. Users are cheap. Developers
> aren't.
Especially when one force them to quit the project.

> > I still find the way the FSF used us, clearly misleading the users in
> > what the situtation is (not the Gnu Go case, not VideoLAN), is wrong.
> > And I don't see why you want to deny that.
>
> I don't deny that if you read my initial response. But I think your strong
> and insistent attacks are excessive and hypocritical, especially
> considering that you are not directly involved.

Excessive, maybe. Hypoctrical, no.
I don't like the FSF making the situation explode and giving me a lot of
work, and not even aknowledging this is wrong.

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/