[vlc-devel] rate in playlist variable also? Was: [vlc-commits] commit: Qt4: don't reset rate when input changes (Ilkka Ollakka )

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Tue Sep 14 23:47:45 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:04:34PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:25:50 +0300, Ilkka Ollakka <ileoo at videolan.org>
> wrote:
> > If I got it right, it should be as simple as adding rate variable to
> > playlist also and modify that from gui instead inputs rate ?

> No. You still need to change the input rate to affect the current input.

Yes, actually I was thinking to set current inputs rate-variable in
playlist rate callback or something similar (yep, setting variable
inside variable callback does sound bad idea actually).

> Keep in mind LibVLC does not use the playlist, but can adjust the rate too.
> Futhermore, some input items may have their own rate set. In that case, the
> input item rate should take precedence over the playlist rate.

Doesn't var_Inherit handle this currently correctly (if I understood it
correctly)

> > Anyone knows case that this would be bad/breaks other than simple
> > p_input -> p_playlist code ?

> I don't like the idea that an object would look at its parent.

I think in most cases in code you get playlist and request it's current
input from it. Atleast where it needs to adjust rate. Or do you mean in
core code?

--
Ilkka Ollakka
10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.