[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] commit: broken avi dialog: don't confuse user by asking a binary answer ( Francois Cartegnie )

Tobias Güntner fatbull at web.de
Wed Sep 22 12:33:07 CEST 2010

Am 21.09.2010 19:03, schrieb Rémi Denis-Courmont:
>> "Because this AVI file index is missing or broken, seeking will not work
>> correctly.
>> VLC won't repair your file but it can temporary fix the problem by building
>> a temporary memory index. This might take a long time on large files. What
>> do you want to do ?"
>>
>> -Do Not play
>> -Play as-is
>> -Rebuild index and play
>
> Rebuild is just as bad as repair to me. I can't think of any verb other than
> 'work around', which most users would not understand.

The index of %s is damaged or missing.
- Ignore the problem. Seeking might not work.
- Bypass the problem. This might take some time.
- Cancel.

Furthermore, do users (need to) know what an AVI index is and how VLC is
going to fix it internally? Do they really need to know more than
"foobar.avi is damaged." and "See log for details." perhaps?

--
Regards,
Tobias