[vlc-devel] GSoC Android Port

Rohit Yadav rohityadav89 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:38:53 CEST 2011

Hello Guillermo,

The reason I am contacting you is because I am really interested on working
> with your project, to be more especific i would like to participate on the "Android
> port" idea for this summer.

Nice, join #videolan on irc.freenode.net and discuss you ideas with MagSoft,
ivoire and other android devs.

> Recently I became a registered andorid develper, I have submitted a couple
> of apps<https://market.android.com/details?id=com.inncosys.mobilecommunication> to
> the Market, I feel really enthusiastic to Andorid Development, I've used
> VLC Player for a while, and I love it, so it would be fantastic to
> contribute to a such a great project, I'm looking forward to get involed
> with it, I hope it isn't to late for me.

Good, grab the latest source, see if you can build and run the present
version on an emulator or on your android 2.2+ device:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-android.git;a=summary
If your project is around android port's interface, then for example you're
required to have (some) knowledge of Java, libVLC, C, JNI and/or android
interface design which you use to implement a basic interface, activities,
services, preferences, playlists, media browser, media library etc.

Also I would like to know any extra information or  suggestions to
> participate on the android port for VLC.

Tell us what your project is all about, time is short! Prepare your proposal
and you're required to submit a qualification task.
I suggest you fix a small bug or implement a feature in the android port for
the qualification task.

HTH,
Rohit