[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Remove oldhttp

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Apr 29 15:27:54 CEST 2011

   Hello,

On Friday 29 April 2011, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> Yes, but, luahttp is broken, but not too much, and sorry to say, this
> isn't hard code.

If it were easy code, it would already have been fixed. From the bug reports,
we have race conditions with implications in the VLC object model. That fits my
definition of hard.

> With the nice combination of:
>  - people having business related around it,

Tragedy of the Commons maybe. In any case, those businesses don't seem to
invest ANYTHING in fixing the HTTP core/interface.

>  - a nice student for GSoC, willing to work on it and improve it,
>  - a clear opinion in favor of luahttp by 3 of the 5 most active devs,
>  - bugs not that monstruous to deal with (I mean, it isn't SSL on Win32,
>    or managing playlist random),

SSL on Win32 is just missing code. Writing new code is easy.

Fixing someone else's code is hard, if only because writing code is easier
than reading code.

http://www.remlab.info