[vlc-devel] [patch] [LUA HTTP] adding file:// to the Input field

Erik Saule esaule at bmi.osu.edu
Tue Feb 22 07:17:21 CET 2011

Hi list,

I encountered a bug while using vlc through the lua http
interface. After selecting a file in the local filesystem, the path to
the file is copied to the "Input" field. However, this does not allow
to play the file directly: one must add manually "file://" to make the
string a valid MRL.

The attached patch correct this issue by adding a line to the
javascript code. I believe the following commit message should be
attached to the patch:

"
    bug fix in the lua http interface: file:// was not added properly.

    When using the lua http interface, after selecting a file, the "Input"
    field only contains the path to the file. However, the prefix
    "file://" should be added to the input. The patch fixes this issue.
"

I mentionned this bug in one of my recent bug report (
http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4515 ).

Notice that I encountered multiple bugs while using the lua http
interface. This one was the only one I could fix, so I did not report
it on the bug tracking system.

The other bugs are numbered:
- 4514 ( http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4514 )
- 4515 ( http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4515 )
- 4516 ( http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/4516 )

I believe bug 4515 and 4516 are javascript issue and should easily be
fixed provided one is good in javascript (which I am not). The other
one is probably on the server side of the interface. I have no insight
whether it is in the lua code or in the C code. The code of vlc is
huge and I am not sure where to dig to detect/fix them.

Please correct these bugs (or help me correct them)! I mainly use VLC
through the http interface which is a kick-ass feature ! :)

Thank you for your help/attention

--
Erik Saule