[vlc-devel] [VLC] #5132: unprecise slide bar

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 27 11:40:07 CEST 2011

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:01:56 +0200, Dietrich Hoppe
<dietrich.hoppe at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately the files have about 1 to 3 GBytes  so that I cannot
> mail you a sample, and you don't see the problem clearly showing short
> files. The gap is only a few seconds with short videos wheras the gap
> is 1 to 2 minutes at the end of videos of 1 to 2 hours duration.

MPEG-PS (.mpg) files cannot be sought accurately, since the file format
does not include a proper schedule/index. I think VLC inaccurate seeking is
still far far better than most commercial DVD players which only support
fast-forward.

This is not a bug.

http://www.remlab.net/