[vlc-devel] [VLC] #5132: unprecise slide bar

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 27 13:13:43 CEST 2011

   Hello,

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:55:10 +0200, Dietrich Hoppe
<dietrich.hoppe at googlemail.com> wrote:
> thank you for the info, but, sorry, I disagree.

I don't really care about your agreement, unless you are proposing to fix
the problem yourself.

> You have the behaviour in doubt not only with mpg-files but also with
> avi-files (MPEG4 Xvid) and vob-files (DVDs). It looks like a
> misscaling from pixels to playing time or file position and vice
> versa. The gap is less, if you maximize the VLC-window.

DVD are the same format as MPEG-PS. You can only seek accurately to titles
and chapters. Just check commercial players: they don't offer seeking at
all except for titles and chapters...

For AVI, it depends how the file was encoded, but generally, there is no
support for accurate seeking either.

> Try to play the last few seconds of any video with "Media Player
> Classic" its behaviour is perfect. I hope VLC could behave the same.

I don't care what MPC does. The only way to seek those file formats
accurately would involve reading the whole file. This is INEFFICIENT and
SLOW as hell, and thus inadequate for a general purpose streamer and
player.

> I need this function for checking a new video being complete, and I
> often fail to find the wrong slider position that shows me the right
> end of the file.

Then use file formats that support precise seeking out of the box, e.g.
indexed MP4.

http://www.remlab.net/