[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Qt: menu: move advanced open.

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 25 13:41:47 CET 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:48:05 +0100, Francois Cartegnie <fcvlcdev at free.fr>
wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 mars 2011, Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
>> Most software have the "Open File" as the first item of the first menu.
>> If you want to change this, you have to explain why.
>
> Copying others is a bad habit. Firefox has "Open File" is below "Open
new
> window" and "Open Location", just because it correctly places the most
> used at top.

As I already said several times, we could probably remove "Paste URL" and
"Open Network Location". We could replace that with "Open Location" right
next to "Open File".

But we need to keep in mind that a browser and a media player are
different beasts. The ratio of local to remote locations is probably much
higher in VLC usage than in Mozilla usage. As for new windows / new tabs,
we don't do them in VLC.

> Subsequent shortcuts points to some parts of the "advanced" dialog,
> keeping the advanced options (you don't want everyone to see)
> available. That's why shortcuts are a particular case for me.

How does that account for not keeping the normal open dialog above
advanced ones?

I think we should remove the disc and capture items in favor of the
playlist/SD. We already have Disc SD on both Linux and Windows. For
capture, some more work is needed on the SD side. However, I think we all
agree that we still need a network item in some form ("Open Location").
Also unless someone finds a way to merge advanced file and normal file
opens, we need to keep them both, with the normal one first. And I'm not
convinced that this can be solved with the current QtGui library.

http://www.remlab.net/