[vlc-devel] add video annotation like youtube

Paul Corke Paul.Corke at datatote.co.uk
Wed May 25 15:32:27 CEST 2011

On 25 May 2011 14:25, zhu shi song wrote:

> I can't display one transparent rectangle(spotlight in youtube)
> over VLC activex plugin. I'm amazed how youtube can do this.

You can put a transparent or opaque rectangle over the top of the
VLC activex plugin by using position:absolute and by making sure
the div has a higher z-index than the plugin.

Then you can manipulate the position and content using normal
javascript DOM manipulation methods.

I suspect you're actually looking for a translucent rectangle; I
don't think that will work due to the way VLC uses hardware
acceleration (the browser doesn't get a chance to composite
your "opacity:0.x" object with the video).

Paul.