[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Add list of committers

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Fri Nov 18 00:47:44 CET 2011

Le Fri, 18 Nov 2011 00:33:27 +0100,
Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> a écrit :

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 06:26:43PM -0500, Rafaël Carré wrote :
> > I want to know who are the committers and who are not.
> > And it's not to give more merit or credit to committers as you
> > suggested.
>
> But this is the case. This makes difference between people.

The difference (between committers and non committers) exists, why hide
it?
The file use alphabetical sorting, I don't know how I can add more
equity in it but if you tell me i will do it

> Committers files and Maintainers files (ffmpeg way) are wrong in many
> ways, in the sense they are not really open-source friendly.

Which ways? You gave none.

> > About updating I will ask new committers to update this file themselves
> > and I hope others will do.
>
> Of course, it won't work.
> AUTHORS, POTFILES and LIST are way more critical and they are not
> even updated correctly.

Agreed.

> And yet, you add one more file to maintain, adding more clutter to
> the tree, making more work for maintainers.

In the above sentence you say it won't be maintained anyway?

> Not to mention that the file is outdated and wrong, since some people
> you added to the list never committed to VLC...

Well you gave me that list, those people are committers anyway, aren't
they?

> > Another solution would be to have some php or web code read the list
> > from gitosis so we'd have a list on the web.
>
> You mean, like the team/ page ?

Yes, that'd be a fine place for that info and solve all your concerns
IIUC.

--
Rafaël Carré