[vlc-devel] buildbot

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:54:28 CET 2011

On 29.11.2011, at 13:12, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 07:07:09AM -0500, Rafaël Carré wrote :
>> What do you think?
>
> GOod idea. But sid is a bad name. Sid is not an OS, as far as I know.
>
>> Another topic:
>> I disabled the continuous branch builds because they were broken.
>>
>> At least they didn't react to commits to the branch, but they did react
>> to commits in vlc.git instead.
>>
>> I think we don't need continous builds for branch because we don't add
>> new features, and if we do we test them in master before.
>
> I disagree strongly here. Breakage on branch are way more serious than on
> master, in case we need to do an emergency security build.
>
> Fixing the commits would be better.
>
>> Also someone needs to reboot veda, or to install a MacOSX 10.5 PPC SDK
>> on jones so we can cross compile PPC builds
>
> I will installl 10.5 on jones, but I doubt it is enough to build for
> PPC.
It would be enough. However, I think I can also modify the current setup to do PPC builds on 10.6 using a custom Xcode 3.2 installation alongside the existing Xcode 4 installation for the modern builds. Shouldn't be a big problem - just let me try next weekend.
Having a supported OS on jones is nice, so it would be a backward step to install 10.5 again IMHO. Virtualizing 10.5 could be another idea, but isn't  trivial to setup.

> For veda, mail thedj, but I think the issue is IPv4 vs IPv6
Would it make sense to move veda's hosting to ECP/VIA for easier maintenance btw.? I could also ask a contact at my university's data center for hosting. Since they also mirroring Debian, they could be interested, especially since veda is a low traffic machine.. They are connected with a 11 Gb and a 6 Gb line, so performance wouldn't be an issue.
Hosting veda on a different site could also vastly speed up its CPU performance btw. since I got the feeling that it is doing a lot of non-VideoLAN stuff which is a bit strange for a VideoLAN-owned device purchased through donations..

Best regards,

Felix