[vlc-devel] Some codec/demux/display bugs

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Oct 22 23:41:40 CEST 2011

   Hello,

On Saturday 22 October 2011, Cyril Lambin wrote:
> Since users don't call VLC from a shell, I cannot set the default demuxer
> to ffmpeg, that's why I was asking for an automatic demux switch inside
> VLC.

If you mean, select a demuxer for MP4, then no, there is no option just for
that. And VLC won't know that it is an MP4 file until it has started the
demuxer anyway so this would not make much sense.

You can override the demuxer on a per-item basis though:

# vlc file/avformat:///path/to/file.mp4

or:

# vlc /path/to/file.mp4 :demux=avformat

That also kinda works from the UI.