[vlc-devel] upgrade MPEG DASH handling of relative URLs

Robert Forsman bob.forsman at ericsson.com
Wed Feb 15 23:44:36 CET 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 13:20:14 -0500
Christopher Müller <christopher.mueller at itec.uni-klu.ac.at> wrote:

> As I said adding a "fake" baseurl could lead to problems in the future and
> we would have to add that code to every profile parser.

  Ahah.  What if the baseurl is not fake?

If you look at my code you will notice that I the BaseURL I insert
is the URL of the MPD file, which is exactly how ISO DIS 23009-1
section 5.6 intends it to be interpreted:

"URLs at each level of the MPD are resolved according to RFC3986 with
respect to the BaseURL element specified at that level of the document
or the level above in the case of resolving base URLs themselves (the
document “base URI” as defined in RFC 3986 Section 5.1 is considered to
be the level above the MPD level)."

Also, I'm not certain why we should forever maintain separate parsers
for separate profiles.  I can understand it as an intermediate
implementation step, but the distant goal should be a single unified
parser that can handle "urn:mpeg:dash:profile:full:2011".  I can
understand if that's beyond the scope of your project, and I probably
won't have time to contribute to it, but keep it in mind for the
benefit of the coders who come after you.

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 23:57:53 -0500
Christopher Müller <christopher.mueller at itec.uni-klu.ac.at> wrote:

> This is no shortcoming nobody said that something like that should work. I tried now in various mails to explain that only our MPDs from the Dataset are supported. You do not have to use the BaseURL but your urls must then be HTTP absolute urls.

> Definitely not my problem if you don’t like the software then don’t use it or improve it, it is open source available.

I can understand that fixing this problem is outside the scope of your
development effort, but now that I have provided patches, I'm finding
your resistance frustrating.

As long as the stock VLC DASH implementation fails to properly implement
section 5.6 I have to maintain these patches, which will be a bit of a
drag on my time.