[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Feb 28 21:24:24 CET 2012

Le mardi 28 février 2012 22:04:34 Jean-Baptiste Kempf, vous avez écrit :
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 07:13:09PM +0100, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote :
> > Since 52d4b4bb1c, vlc.misc.* are not available outside of lua
> > interfaces, notably for extensions and sds.
> > It seems indeed that vlc.misc was over-exposing things, like should_die
> > or quit.
>
> Another round at downloading all extensions and grepping for misc.
>
> Are currently used:
>
> version() for debugging and for testing if required version is present.

If Pierre is right, checking for nil is a lot better and more likely to be
forward compatible.

> copyright() for debugging.

I don't see how copyright is relevant to debug.

> mdate() for debugging callbacks.

Whatever. mdate() is not a problem. But mwait() is a problem and they are
tightly coupled.

> mwait() for doing a sleep/poll.

That sucks in many ways. Normally callbacks should be used. If a timer is
really needed (e.g. network polling, playback progress bar), the plugin should
be an interface, not an extension. Then the core will know better how to deal
with it.

vlc.misc is available to interfaces. I don't think there was any breakage
there.

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis