[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Feb 29 08:35:31 CET 2012

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:39:35 +0100, Pierre Ynard <linkfanel at yahoo.fr>
wrote:
>> > We've already broken stuff, so let's take this chance and clear the
>> > crap.
>>
>> No. Let's minimize the breakage.
>> What is wrong with marking them as deprecated?
>
> More and more users are going to use them anyway since they are
> "absolutely necessary" and "there's no other way of doing it". We will
> break things a second time when we remove them for good, and then there
> will be more users to whine^Whave a frustrating experience because of
> this. Less users will come to us with feature requests for proper APIs
> for what is actually needed.
>
> But as you wish. So what's your plan? Putting back the whole vlc.misc
> unchanged? Splitting it in half? You'll have to rename stuff in an
> incompatible way, won't you?

Nu ****ing way. These unrelated things should not have put together in
vlc.misc.* in the first place. That's the root of the problem.

The interface-specific stuff (mdate, mwait, lock..., timer, should_die and
quit) should be moved to a separate namespace, probably vlc.intf.*.

And directories belong in config.* like the rest of src/config/.

http://www.remlab.net/