[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Wed Feb 29 09:44:31 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:39:35AM +0100, Pierre Ynard wrote :
> But as you wish. So what's your plan? Putting back the whole vlc.misc
> unchanged? Splitting it in half? You'll have to rename stuff in an
> incompatible way, won't you?

No.

I plan to put back with a strong deprecation warning the parts that are
used now but harmless: version, copyright, mdate (without mwait), homedir
and cachedir.

I plan to add homedir() and cachedir() to a config.* namespace, without a
deprecation warning.
I plan to add a duration param to vlc.osd.message to kill one of the main
usage of mwait(mdate() + xx).
I do not plan to put version and copyright back, nor mwait.

I plan to then discuss with the few extensions writer to fix their
scripts. And to help them move away from mwait to callbacks.

I plan to improve the documentation about all that. And then remove the
deprecated symbols in the next major version.

Best regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - +33 672 704 734