[vlc-devel] vlc-2.1 translatable strings RFC

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Wed Jul 4 12:10:36 CEST 2012

Hello!

Questions regarding the strings. Sorted by difficulty (increasing order):

Audiobar/Audio bar
Used inconsistently. How do you like it?

Blu-Ray/BluRay/Bluray/bluray
At least one version is a trademark and shall be avoided (IIRC). How do
you like it?

Target original locale?

synchroni SZ ation
visuali SZ ation

IRC quotes on that:

well, I think our mainline locale should be en_US, since we also got
en_GB for the folks who feel like they need it

synchronisation is also a correct spelling; less common in the US, but
still correct in the rest of the world

And the biggest point: Capitalization or not?

I know there is no "correct" answer here. I prepared two screenshots of
the webinterface (all strings in the same file) to give some visual data:

http://imgur.com/a/tBWE7

I like to have more consistency here, but at the moment there is no
decision for the direction we want the strings to be. This draw does not
only prevent me from modifying the strings (and probably reducing the
total number a bit), it also keeps this inconsistency.

I can not decide this. So I request feedback on this. I don't know if
this email list or the wiki talk is preferred.

http://wiki.videolan.org/Talk:VideolanStringGuidelines#2.1.0_Rincewind_TODO

Regards

Christoph

P.S.: There is more to improve later on. E.g.:

"This allows you to *"
could be replaced by
"Allows to *"