[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Mark --language as obsolete

Pierre d'Herbemont pdherbemont at free.fr
Thu Jul 19 12:00:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>wrote:

> Le lundi 16 juillet 2012 04:43:59 Felix Paul Kühne, vous avez écrit :

> > > We have screenshots and such for that.. And Ctrl+P is easy.
> > >
> > > Sorry, we have to disagree here:
> > > I think that having another language in VLC than the one that was set
> on
> > > your computer is useful for many people, especially if you are not
> > > allowed to change it yourself.
> >
> > I need to second this.
> >
> > Additionally, the new implementation doesn't work on the Mac. I'm using a
> > German MacBook Pro (German as in, it's equipped with a German keyboard
> and
> > I'm using the German time and date formats) with the default, system-wide
> > UI language set to English (US). However, VLC always runs in German
> > regardless what I do. This is not the intended behavior and contradicts
> > with every single application running on my Mac.
>
> Well, the MacOS code is unchanged, so you know whom to blame:
>
> commit 33bc015640f9c99b629f26d95f3ba372e464b44e
> Author: Felix Paul Kühne <fkuehne at videolan.org>
> Date:   Fri Feb 23 14:27:16 2007 +0000
>
>     * patch by Pierre d'Herbemont which cleans up our locale detection code
> heavily and converts it to be CoreFoundation-based only. Thanks!

Again, I don't think you are blaming accurately, Rémi.

This patch (whose commit log was not very descriptive I agree) was only
removing a hard-coded map between Languages name and locale code by
switching from a Foundation (Objective-C) based API to a CoreFoundation (C)
API. There is no additional behavior changes in that patch. Even the evil
"setenv" predates.

Language detection based on the system settings has been working for years
on OS X, and it is currently properly working on vlc-2.0.3. However, I
agree that on OS X it makes little sense in keeping an additional language
toggle inside the application.

Pierre.