[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Mark --language as obsolete

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Jul 18 12:50:23 CEST 2012

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:53:32 +0200, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
wrote:
>> You're not supposed to reintroduce
>> bugs knowingly
>
> Are you supposed to break existing functionality as others pointed out.

That I don't call "functionality". This is a work-around an old bug that
is supposed to be fixed. To make things worse, the work-around itself
featured several bugs.

>> and you are not supposed to undo hours of my work just
>> because you cannot be bothered.
>
> Just because you spent time on it doesn't magically grant it value.

I don't usually code the reckless way you might.

> You just undid (ok, years later) hours of existing work with these
> patches, didn't you?

I doubt that Eric Petit spent hours writing the code. In fact, I am
probably the individual that had already spent most time on the work-around
until then.

> Is it courmisch against the world again?

I would not call the small set of schizophrenics that wants VLC and the OS
interface in different language "the world". Besides, I never said I
objected to supporting UI language override. However I certainly do object
to being coerced into implementing it myself on my free time, especially
when I find it rather useless.

I have always been against people who prefer to keep or introduce known
bugs, especially in software components that I maintain.

> And why not sending patches to this mailing list instead of slapping
> code into our face, especially since some code is apparently needed on
> osx and windows and thus making the serie incomplete.

You did not even read the commit logs. The hack was brought in for BeOS
because BeOS did not have language configuration. Then it was extended to
Windows and MacOS because older versions of gettext (< 0.18) lacked.

Thus there is only one reason why this might still be useful: selecting a
language that somehow cannot be selected in the OS. And that is a problem
on all systems, it's in no way specific to Windows and MacOS and it is
definitely not an excuse for leaving several known crasher bugs.

> Please learn to team work we are not your opponents

If you were working in a team on this project, you would not object to a
core maintainer removing bugs and legacy code in the core.

Instead if you wanted a certain feature, you would implement it correctly
and not expect other uninterested developers to either fix the code or deal
with your bugs on your behalf.

Sent from my collocated server