[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Mark --language as obsolete

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne.videolan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 13:16:33 CEST 2012

On 18.07.2012, at 12:50, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 11:53:32 +0200, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org>
> wrote:
>>> You're not supposed to reintroduce
>>> bugs knowingly
>>
>> Are you supposed to break existing functionality as others pointed out.
>
> That I don't call "functionality". This is a work-around an old bug that
> is supposed to be fixed.
It is an often requested and needed feature on VLC's most popular platforms, despite being based on a hack. The proper fix would have retained the existing feature set.

> To make things worse, the work-around itself featured several bugs.
Trac tickets?

>> Is it courmisch against the world again?
>
> I would not call the small set of schizophrenics that wants VLC and the OS
> interface in different language "the world". Besides, I never said I
> objected to supporting UI language override. However I certainly do object
> to being coerced into implementing it myself on my free time, especially
> when I find it rather useless.
see below.

> Thus there is only one reason why this might still be useful: selecting a
> language that somehow cannot be selected in the OS. And that is a problem
> on all systems, it's in no way specific to Windows and MacOS and it is
> definitely not an excuse for leaving several known crasher bugs.
you're quoting frequent, re-occuring crashes due to this. Can we have a reference for this? some gdb logs or trac tickets? This would be really interesting for the people who'd like this feature and how to improve the "legacy" code.

Note that I'm not against the improvement or removal of old code. My only point is that we need a language switcher for the reasons you laid out yourself, so we got 2 options: re-implement it "the proper way" (I doubt that there is one, but feel free to enlighten me) or revert your changes. As Rafaël pointed out, I would have preferred if you had send a three-liner to vlc-devel announcing your plans (so you would have saved the spare time you spent on this) or at least the patches prior to merging, just like I do now for the contrib system and configure things.

Best regards,

Felix