[vlc-devel] Libvlc and imem trouble locating transcode module from raw to vorbis

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Jun 14 08:01:44 CEST 2012

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:45:19 -0700, William King
<william.king at quentustech.com> wrote:
> I'm currently trying to use libvlc to handle transcoding and streaming
> from a raw s16l audio source to one of the many streaming codecs that
> libvlc supports. The problem I seem to be running into is that imem
> requests the codec, but not the fourcc and the only codec accepted is
> 'raw'. This appears to cause libvlc to be unable to locate a compatible
> transcode module since all of the modules list s16l as the source
> fourcc. After digging into the imem code and how the codec string is
> handled, I don't see a way to specify from my application that the audio

> fourcc is s16l.
>
> Is anyone able to shed some light on the situation?

--imem-codec=s16l should do.

Do you mean that es_format_t.audio.i_format is not set? That should not be
an issue out of imem, but maybe transcode has a bug.

It's unfortunate that es_format_t has both i_codec and audio.i_format
fields. But that's not easy to clean up.

Sent from my collocated server