[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Xavion xavion.0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 07:38:06 CET 2012

Hi Guys

I had a go at modifying my Media Context
<http://media-context.xavion.name/>extension to work without
"vlc.misc.mwait()" earlier.  I'm pleased to
inform you that I was able to do so without any (known) drawbacks
surfacing.  The best news of all is that MC appears to work better than
ever as a result of this change!  It's more responsive and it seems to
cause VLC to crash less often when "vlc.misc.mwait()" isn't used.

For these reasons, I'd like to apologise for being critical of the VLC
developers who were responsible for the decision to remove
"vlc.misc.mwait()" from VLC v2.x.  For anyone who's interested, I'll upload
a new release of MC for VLC v1.1.x in the coming days.  I'll release an
edition for VLC v2.x once JB has rolled-out the (caching and versioning)
changes mentioned in his last message.