[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Xavion xavion.0 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 04:18:39 CET 2012

Hi Guys

Thanks for your prompt replies.  As a qualified software developer with
many years of experience, I'm well aware that "vlc.misc.mwait()" infers
polling :-).  I can also understand why you want to prevent VLC extenders
from adopting this approach.  As explained in my previous email, the
problem is that there doesn't seem to be another way of distinguishing the
final metadata change from the previous (unwanted) ones.

>From memory, when changing streams, I used to see about ten metadata
changes within the first couple of seconds of the new stream loading.  The
exact number of metadata changes depended on the stream, so I couldn't
assume that MC should pick the tenth one.  Perhaps there's some way that
VLC can suppress all of the other (bogus) metadata changes.  This would
prevent me from needing to use polling!

Remi, I think you're being too stubborn about this issue.  You're only
looking at it from the viewpoint of a VLC developer, not caring much about
the plight of a VLC extender like myself.  If there is a way to distinguish
the final metadata change from the rest, I'm all ears!  If not, it looks
like I'll need to create my own
'sleep<http://lua-users.org/wiki/SleepFunction>'
function.  Perhaps VLC extensions can be run in separate threads to avoid
locking-up VLC itself ...

I like Pierre's idea of adding a new event to signal that all of the
metadata has stabilised.  MC obviously uses the "meta-listener" capability
to detect metadata changes.  In the case of streams, it uses the
"now_playing" metadata string.  In the case of local media, it uses
"artist", "title" and "album".  If none of this information is present, MC
then attempts to determine it from the filename of the local media instead.

JB, I like your idea of introducing a "minimum_version" variable in lieu of
"vlc.misc.version()".  I'd also like to thank you very much for your
positive feedback about my Media Context
<http://media-context.xavion.name/>extension.  As noted in my last
email, outstanding
VLC bugs<http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/query?status=%21closed&reporter=Xavion>are
still preventing MC from running properly.  I have already uploaded
'test' extensions to those tickets when relevant.  Hopefully someone can
fix those problems rather soon!