[vlc-devel] Lua extension and vlc.misc

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Mar 11 09:09:00 CET 2012

Le dimanche 11 mars 2012 04:29:26 Xavion, vous avez écrit :
> Right now, I just want to stress to you guys that "vlc.misc.cachedir()" (or
> "vlc.config.cachedir()") and "vlc.misc.version()" (or JB's
> "minimum_version" variable) *must* return in VLC v2.0.1.

The root cause of the problem is that vlc.misc.* was intended *solely* for
interface plugins. Some but not all of the functions depend on the Lua script
being an interface instance, otherwise they will crash.

Then later someone invented the extension concept and blindly added
vlc.misc.*. This cannot work. This needs to be split. Obviously directories
will go to vlc.config.*. But for the rest, either we rename interface
functions, or generic functions out vlc.misc.*. Either way, something is going
to break...

http://www.remlab.net/
http://fi.linkedin.com/in/remidenis