[vlc-devel] Update on the VLC project

Ilkka Ollakka ileoo at videolan.org
Fri May 4 08:21:50 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 09:53:00PM +0200, Pierre Ynard wrote:

> >  - ad hominem attacks,

> These are way too vague. Many negociations or declarations or intent
> could be construed as threats. Criticism of a behavior could be
> construed as an ad hominem attack. Let's get real, only the care bears
> manage to achieve an environment that is devoid of threats.

If someone really criticises people so that it fill ad hominem, then
they're just trolling and doing it usually intentionally. Usually it's not so
hard really to notice the difference.

> As you and I just agreed upon, the technical decision process is the
> least of our problems. A technical arbitration committee wouldn't
> help with the lack of orientation for PR/legal action, the lack of
> orientation for technical developement, the lack of roadmap, the lack of
> orientation for fostering our third-party developer community, and the
> lack of management of personal (as in, not technical) conflicts.

I have to agree with j-b in here, I think there's quite a lot of
PR/legal stuff done. For roadmap I think it is enough that people talk
in vdd/irc/in person about what they are going to focus next/what would
be nice etc.

> >  - 1 day ban of Rémi, Rafaël and the other people from IRC channel for
> >    insults,
> >  - 1 week removal of commit access for Rafaël,

> 1 day, 1 week??? This is nothing but a symbolic sanction. And that day
> and week will be over very soon and we'll be back to the same situation.

I think it is good that there is some sanction, even if symbolic. There
is also this concept of retroactive law that suits here as there weren't
clear rules on behaviour and sanctions before and would harder sanctions
help at all? What sanctions would you have preferred or be satisfied
with?

> been productive. j-b, apart from going over the state of the project and
> suggesting the technical committee, what you said is all obvious stuff
> that goes without saying.

Yes, like acting civilized goes without saying and all that goes without
saying like we have witnessed? Most of the times it is good to say stuff
that 'goes without saying' out loud.

> Also, while I greatly welcome new participants to this discussion to
> give their opinion, seeing as first replies Ludovic and Felix magically
> popping out of nowhere to one-up you is a bit pathetic, as they were
> sure enough by your side while you were writing these guidelines...

People shouldn't support ideas that they were part of generating? Not
that I have that much idea if and how much they did participate on
creating those guidelines. You would have preferred that all would go
with this grumpy mode and would be against every small detail until
bitter end?

--
Ilkka Ollakka
Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.