[vlc-devel] Killing the user mailing list

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Fri May 4 12:19:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 12:14:43PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> So I accidentally got my mail box to receive vlc at v.o emails again. I am
> quite surprised that this mailing list is still open. It made sense before
> the web fora were created. But now I don't see its point.

See http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc/2012-February/020627.html
and the subsequent mails.

> It is much easier to search the fora than the mailing list, as well as to
> refer to old articles. Also there are probably more volunteers answering
> questions on forum.videolan.org than on the user mailing list. I really
> don't think multiplying the support venues helps in any way, nor has much
> advantages over the forum and wiki sites or the IRC channels, not to
> mention the (abused) private videolan at v.o contact.

I agreed on that, but many people there asked to keep it because of the
way they dislike the forum.

I did not want to argue with that, so the mailing list now requires membership
to post. It will die slowly, but it does not matter much to us, I think.

See post like
http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc/2012-April/020750.htm to us, I
think.

See post like