[vlc-devel] Killing the user mailing list

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri May 4 13:24:29 CEST 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012 12:19:38 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org>
wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 12:14:43PM +0200, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>> So I accidentally got my mail box to receive vlc at v.o emails again. I am
>> quite surprised that this mailing list is still open. It made sense
>> before
>> the web fora were created. But now I don't see its point.
>
> See http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc/2012-February/020627.html
> and the subsequent mails.

The points made there are rather silly.

You can be much closer to anonymity on the forum (only VideoLAN and French
authorities can get your IP address) than on a mailing list (all the From:
fields are sent to everyone).

Archiving is also much crappier on the mailing list.

And false positive spam filtering is also an issue for both.

But the main point is,  people waste their time posting to the mailing
list since there are far fewer volunteers answering there. In particular,
those who opposed the closure do not seem to be very actively answering
questions.

We cannot complain that support is a mess if we do not even try to
simplify and fix it. I shall ignore that argument if it's ever made again
then.

Sent from my collocated server