[vlc-devel] Killing the user mailing list

Guy Perkins me at atdotmedotuk.me.uk
Sat May 5 01:57:35 CEST 2012

Hi - Just a note re Forum Blacklist

>From the VLC Forbidden 403 Page, I trawled through the list of blacklist
maintainers to try and identify why I am blocked from page access.

I found a potential problem for VLC Forum here.
http://www.tornevall.net/ appears to use Barracuda lists.
http://barracudacentral.org/
Barracuda generate blacklists based on some strange criteria & their
list appears to be an "Email" based blacklist & so not suitable for the
browser accessed VLC "Forum" (Maillists possibly would be OK, but not
ideal IMO)

Barracuda detection (Quoted from their site)
Users that place multiple computers behind a NAT gateway/firewall system
should block all outgoing port 25 traffic from all computers which have
not been explicitly configured and maintained specifically as email
servers. A single infected machine sending spam out through a network
utilizing NAT can result in blocked email from the whole LAN.

So, if I read this correctly any workgroup behind a NAT router where
client machines are running an Email client using port 25 for
SMTP(default), would (in their words) be spammers & so automatically
create a blacklist against the WAN IP used.
AND, yes it does appear that the "IP" is globally blacklisted & then
individual "email" domains are excluded upon request. Thus all WEB
browser scenarios would still hit the blacklist as the ISP's IP is still
blacklisted and the recipient domain is not reffered to at all in the
browser session!!
(Think dynamic IP as well here. Some users, like me, have & prefer to
have a dynamic WAN IP, thus if the pool of ISP IP's become effected,
which on this criteria is very likely, no banannas...All browser
sessions from the pool are Blocked...)

FYI (again quoted from the Barracuda site, note EMAIL references)
http://barracudacentral.org/rbl/removal-request/
==============================
Barracuda Central Reputation System – Removal Request
•To request adjustment of your "IP reputation" on the Barracuda
Reputation System, please enter your EMAIL server's IP address, your
EMAIL address, phone number and an optional reason for removal below.
Please note that the BRBL is generated by automated systems. Requests
without valid information will be ignored. Multiple requests will also
be ignored.
•Removal requests are typically investigated and processed within 12
hours of submission if provided with a valid explanation.
•Barracuda Reputation System honors domains registered at EMAILReg.org.
If you want to avoid email with your domain and IP being inadvertently
blocked, you can register your domain at EMAILReg.org.

Another note, to clarify. I have come across these guys before & an
email address that I use has been successfully whitelisted.
Hence my confidence that the "ISP IP address" being used hits the
barracuda block, but emails sent from the same ISP IP that match their
"mail" whitelist pass!

Has the world gone potty?

Guy