[vlc-devel] Hard-coding space key to play / pause action

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Apr 4 12:07:44 CEST 2013

On Thu, 4 Apr 2013 11:24:57 +0200, David Fuhrmann
<david.fuhrmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> From a user point of view, IMHO some keys should just always trigger the
> intuitive action such as escape (Exit fullscreen) and also space (toggle
> play / pause). With this patch, space can be still assigned to another
> action with preferences.

The current system is overkill. But at least it exhibits some consistency.
Models I would consider include:
- individual configuration per action (current model),
- reduced set of configuration options,
- a single list of profiles,
- no configuration whatsoever.

I don't see why space should be special. Afterall the media keys are far
more "obvious" and yet they are not hard-coded. And then the preference
dialog is de facto the hotkeys documentation. Before keys can be
hard-coded, some new documentation mechanism would be required.

> For the qt intf, space is the default key for play / pause, but it can
be
> overridden.

No. For Qt interface, space is just a normal key. The VLC core code maps
it.

> Do you have any opinions / objections for this patch?

The patch is half-baked and incorrect, even if agreed to hard-code the
meaning of space.
Besides it has practically no effects since the space key already defaults
to play/pause.

Sent from my collocated server