[vlc-devel] src/input: add a new input option flag to replace values of existing options (was: fix buffer underflow by avoiding inconsistent state in error case)

David Fuhrmann david.fuhrmann at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 21:36:18 CEST 2014

Hello Remi,

Am 04.07.2014 um 09:47 schrieb Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net>:

>   Hello,
>
> Le 2014-07-04 00:52, David Fuhrmann a écrit :
>> Generally, _please_ complain to the specific patches or issues you
>> are having a problem with. Doing that in a totally unrelated thread,
>> and weeks or months afterwards ist not really helpful.
>
> I cannot report issues before I find them (that would be two days ago on Trac).

Of course I have no problem if you find issues afterwards and after some period of time. The more important point is that you should directly answering to the appropriate mails (and to the right persons), instead if misusing another dispute to express all your frustration you collected.

> Regardless of who violated it, the whole point about code freezes is to not make regression-prone changes when there is not enough time to find and address bugs timely.
>
>>> Do I need to mention that your deliberately ignored my (and the only) review
>>> of the input item changes,
>>
>> First, I answered your concerns in this regard. A lack of answer
>> means that you / the person has accepted the answer and that they are
>> no further concerns.
>
> So I "accepted" the answer, since it said you agreed with the review:
> https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2014-May/098018.html

I’m talking about this mail: https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2014-May/098019.html
Here, I was explaining why your proposed existing solution is not really usable, and a new flag is needed. IIRC there was no further comment from you on this issue. Thus I think it was reasonable to believe that the patch is fine, seeing the explanation and your lack of reaction, the approval from others, and the ease and low risk of regressions.

Anyway, I already reverted the patch weeks ago. Thus it is quite surprising to me that you come up with it again.

With best regards,
David